East Indian Creek
Location: Wabasha County, MN
Funding: Lessard-Sams 2013
Contact: Hiawatha Chapter
Goals: Reduce stream bank erosion and associated sedimentation downstream, reconnect the stream to its floodplain and increase natural reproduction of trout, habitat, biodiversity and trout angling opportunities.
• Removal of invasive trees from riparian zone and grading of banks to remove excess deposited sediment.
• Reinforcement of banks with indigenous rock from local quarries.
• Deepening of the stream channel
• Installation of overhead structures
• Planting of native prairie grasses and fast sprouting annual grains to anchor soils the first year.
Implementation: Construction in progress, will be completed in 2014.
Project Contributors: Hiawatha Chapter of Trout Unlimited